What am I supposed to use a MEAT HAMMER for? Or do you not care about midgets fecal needs? All posts copyright their original authors. the refrigerator there was a piece of glass . "Miss Suzie had a steamboat The steamboat had a bell I'll kick you from behind . When records started getting labels saying "Parental advisory: explicit lyrics", it occurred to me that implied swear words could be accurately described as. Ask me no more questions I'll tell you no more lies. The hand clapping and body movements that accompany Down, Down Baby include snaps, hip shakes and very circular clapping. 114 Olive St. Claremont, CA 91711 | 909-621-4761 | Copyright 2020. Keep 'em coming! Miss Susie had a steamboat, The steamboat had a bell. Miss Susie went to heaven, The steamboat went to $&#/$& Hello operator, Please give me number nine. Although the sailor tune originated in England, we, in Southern California, created our own version in the 70s: Three sailors went to Disneyland. Although this might have had something to do with inflation, I suspect that the phonetic similarity of ‘fifteen’ and ‘fifty’ is responsible for the shift. Unfortunately I don't know the name of this type of song, but I want to! Use a ladder? Indeed, at the end of the chant, Miss Lucy calls the doctor; the doctor calls the nurse; the nurse calls the lady with the alligator purse. Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts practically made a career of this. We felt close and united as we learned to collaborate, correct mistakes and improve our groove as we and sang about topics that would be important for years to come. Toobin fired by magazine following Zoom incident, How Va. gym managed to avoid coronavirus outbreak, 'Math doesn't care about' Trump fraud claims: Official, Blank ballots: 'I could not give my vote to either person', What Trump's defeat means for global populism, Watt goes to bat for fired Texans executive, Naked sculpture of feminist icon ignites backlash, What 'Fixer Upper' star would tell her younger self, Few legal wins so far as Trump team hunts for proof of fraud. Description: Miss Susie Had a Steamboat (often called Hello Operator) is popular a Schoolyard rhyme. Miss Susie went to heaven, The steamboat went to $&#/$& Hello operator, Please give me number nine. Soon, Jennifer and I launched into Say say oh playmate; come out and play with me; and bring your dollies three; climb up my apple tree… Although we faltered on a couple of words and claps, for the most part, we slipped right back into our childhood groove (and giggles). From "Geek in the Pink": In sixth grade, my best friend taught me: ... listening to it now though, I guess Chuck isn't quite doing the double-entendre/implied-but-denied-rhyme thing, I can't remember the whole bit, but in regards to baseball. "And ladies, these rhymes are like the keys to a dope car. Another defining characteristic of these clapping songs is that they tend to be more popular with girls than boys. I love making these up! One study, reported in Science Daily, found that children “who spontaneously perform hand-clapping songs in the schoolyard during recess have neater handwriting, write better and make fewer spelling errors.” Additionally, pattern-finding and pattern-manipulation skills gained through this type of cooperative play can help children identify mathematical and musical patterns as they grow. The language and body movements of most of the rhymes indicate an awareness of sexuality and gender roles. Another study notes that there is “an element of gender shaping and a working-through of cultural expectations.”. Hello operator please give me number nine . and if you disconnect me . If you live in a home with a lot of cowboys, will you prolly learn some exciting new bean recipes, ya think? Unlike the other tunes, which have many versions, the only words to have changed in this rhyme over the last half a century are fifteen cents, which got upped to fifty cents. Unlike the rhymes and songs taught to children by adults (Duck, Duck Goose, Hokey Pokey, Ring Around the Rosie, etc. Miss Susie Miss Suzy had a steamboat, The steamboat had a bell. When you are washing out stains, do you ring them in permanent ink, so you can check to see if they are gone. In fact, the lines have recently been sampled in the modern rap song, “Country Grammar,” by Nelly. Poems or songs where you anticipate the next rhyme to be a naughty word, but it isn't... is there a term for this kind of implied-but-denied rhyme scheme, and what are some more examples? I used to hear the following on Dr. Demento as a kid in the early 80s. The extremely popular Lemonade Crunchy Ice involves turning around, touching the ground and kicking your boyfriend out of town, while Hot Dog on a Stick boasts: it’s not because I’m dirty, not because I’m clean, it’s just because I kissed a boy behind a magazine. Hello operator please give me number nine, the refrigerator there was a piece of glass, Miss Susie sat upon it and cut her little, the boys are in the bathroom zipping up their, Miss Susie and her boyfriend are kissing in the, a show is like a tv screen and that is all, i know i know my sister with the 80 acre alligator bra, Miss Susie sat upon it and broke her little, behind the refrigerator there was a piece of glass. the steamboat went to . The inclusion of Black vernacular, such as ‘Miss’ (which was reserved for young white women in the early 1900s) indicates that many of these rhymes are rooted in African American gathering songs. What's the difference between a case of beer and a case of diarrhoea? Shared by Argo. :D. In the grand tradition of the Carnegie Mellon "Standing Band", the Kilties, the subverted-rhyme cheer has a place of honor. Charlie had a pigeon ...". Join 6,449 readers in helping fund MetaFilter. A A. 28 like 0 dislike. Tweet . and if you disconnect me ill sing this song again! Does anybody know the miss suzie rhymes???? Ask MetaFilter is a question and answer site that covers nearly any question on earth, where members help each other solve problems. What do you imagine midgets do when they have to get on a public toilet. ), clapping chants are passed down orally by children. ask me no more questions . These very complicated clapping patterns and chorus repetition make these games perfect vehicles for language learning and the development of concentration, memory and coordination. Miss Susie sat upon it and cut her little . And if you disconnect me I’ll chop of your /&$#%$ Behind the frigerator There was a piece of glass. is good health the slowest rate you can die? I'm THINKING of DOING some TRAVELING.....? Built in 1855, she was black with silver rivets (accounting for Mary’s outfit). These three characters recur in the same order in most of the Lucy and Suzie rhymes. Lyrics To “Miss Susie Had A Steamboat “ […] Miss Susie, a profanity avoidance rhyme from the early 1900s, skirts around taboo subjects with word play: Miss Suzie had a steamboat, the steamboat had a bell, Miss Suzie went to heaven, the steamboat went to…HELLo operator, give me number nine, and if you disconnect me, I’ll kick you from…BEHIND the refrigerator…and so on. The "Miss Lucy" version I grew up with went on a bit longer (continuing from StickyCarpet's version), Not necessarily the subverting the rhyme, but in the same ballpark is. There is some disagreement as to who the lady with the alligator purse represents, although she is always called as the last resort. If a doctor asked for a stool sample, a urine sample and a semen sample, would you just hand over your pants? Do cannibals freak out when waitresses bring them their DANISH? Flies are in the meadow the bees are in the park. The rhyme approaches taboo words, only to cut them off and modify them with an enjambment. tell me no more lies . The boys are in the bathroom zipping up their. Get your answers by asking now. Miss Susie fell upon it and cut her little... Miss Susie told me everything the day before she... and if you disconnect me ill kick your little. 31 like 0 dislike. "Miss Susie (also Miss Suzy, Miss Lucy, Miss Molly or Miss Mary, Miss Cassima, "Helen") is the name of a schoolyard rhyme and clapping game in which almost each verse leads up to a rude word or profanity which is elided into the next verse as part of an innocuous word or phrase." Dirty Nursery Rhyme jokes. 49 Jokes. Like, "And when it came home it was covered in shh...ine up your buttons with Brasso, it's only three ha'pence a tin. I recently visited a local refugee family with my friend Jennifer, where we found ourselves surrounded by three extremely excited—and jumpy—young girls. The song has developed many variations over an extended period, as is common … Yeah I think Stickycarpet has the classic of the genre. Miss Mary sat upon it. Indeed, these chants tackle themes of love, boyfriends, kissing and babies. In the children’s renditions, Lulu became “Miss Lucy” and later “Miss Suzie.”. Miss Mary sat upon it. Could you save money on expensive binoculars by just moving closer? One theory as to why she her baby in the bathtub is the Diphtheria epidemic in the early 1900s. LT → English → English Children Songs → Miss Susie. The shimmy shimmy coco pop, shimmy shimmy pow of this tune resonate with a much wider audience than schoolgirls. "Miss Susie (also Miss Suzy, Miss Lucy, Miss Molly or Miss Mary, Miss Cassima, "Helen") is the name of a schoolyard rhyme and clapping game in which almost each verse leads up to a rude word or profanity which is elided into the next verse as part of an innocuous word or phrase.". As if following an unwritten girl guidebook, she immediately put her hands up to mimic mine and we began clapping and chanting in unison: Miss Mary Mack, Mack, Mack; all dressed in BLACK, BLACK, BLACK; with silver BUTTONS, BUTTONS, BUTTONS; all down her BACK, BACK, BACK. Warning: this rhyme is for the oldest kids! Miss Suzie sat upon it and broke her little. Roll, roll, roll your joint, pass it down the line, take a toke and hold the smoke, blow your fuckin' mind! Maybe a Lexus or a Jaguar.". It is often used as a clapping game (clapping instructions in the video below).Miss Susie Had a Steamboat/Hello Operator is sung in several different versions with loads of different verses. It shares much of the same melody as the 1937 "The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down" used by Warner Bros. as the theme to their Looney Tunes cartoons. Some believe she was a social worker (alligator purse referring to the dress code of the profession), while others insist that she represented a herbalist or non-traditional health care provider. An alternate second verse to "Happy Birthday": Well - known pop version from the Killers' Mr. Brightside: Mary had a little lamb, she thought it rather silly. Ask MetaFilter is where thousands of life's little questions are answered. It went right up her “%”$(= Ask me no more questions, English Children Songs - Miss Susie. Since this thread is still open, I would like to add. In one version of the chant, Lucy punches the doctor, kicks the nurse, but pays the lady with the alligator purse. Miss Susie went to heaven the steamboat went to… Hello operator please give me number nine and if you disconnect me I’ll kick you from… behind the refrigerator there was a piece of glass Miss Susie fell upon it and cut her little… ask me no more questions tell me no more lies Miss Susie told me everything the day before she…