I guarantee you will find that their playwriting speaks to you. It also shows you’re a smart actor who is doing your homework! The title of the monologue tells how David plans to win Barb's heart. Read Killing Chuck. Thanks so much for all of this advice on this blog! This site uses cookies to improve your experience: 15 Powerful Male Dramatic Monologues from Plays, 15 Powerful Monologues for Men from 1 Act Plays, Fifteen Powerful Dramatic Monologues for Men, Male Actor Monologues: 1-2 Minutes for Auditions, Manly Actor: Free Dramatic Monologues for Men, Monologue Audition: Male Drama Monologues, Contemporary Monologues from Published Plays. He did it once at 13, he's going to do it again at 26. CONTENTS . I guarantee you will find that their playwriting speaks to you. But in addition to young, new writers, I also love the surprise of when one of my favorite established playwrights also wins a Tony for Best Book of a Musical, like Itamar Moses for “The Band’s Visit.“. When it comes to musical theater auditions, my philosophy is to present monologue choices for a variety of young adult types that are always age-appropriate and within the students’ life experience. A boy's ceremonial entry from boyhood to manhood. 15 Powerful Male Dramatic Monologues. Water by the Spoonful Monologue Click here to read the monologue on google books A dramatic male monologue from the play Water by the Spoonful by Quiara Algria Hudes. Topics include philosophy, backstabbing, cash flow, forgiveness, poverty, imagination, robots, competition and health. Monologues are here categorized according to type of material: comic, dramatic or serio-comic.Each category includes monologues from movies, television shows, plays and books from any period and genre. It only makes sense. Roberto Aguirre-SacasaMusicals: “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark,” “It’s a Bird, It’s Plane, It’s Superman”Plays: “Good Boys And True,” “Based on a Totally True Story”, Douglas Carter BeaneMusicals: “Sister Act,” “Xanadu,” “Cinderella”Plays: “The Little Dog Laughed,” “The Country Club”, Craig LucasMusicals: “The Light in the Piazza,” “An American in Paris,” “Amélie”Plays: “Reckless,” “Prelude To A Kiss”, Terrence McNallyMusicals: “Ragtime,” “The Full Monty,” “Catch Me If You Can”Plays: “Mothers and Sons,” “Master Class”, Itamar MosesMusicals: “The Band’s Visit”Plays: “Completeness,” “Back Back Back”, Doug WrightMusicals: “The Little Mermaid,” “War Paint, “Grey Gardens”Plays: “I Am My Own Wife,” “The Stonewater Rapture”. Below are some esteemed male book writers and, 12 female playwrights for young actresses, How to Handle College Audition Rejections. MONOLOGUE LIST David — from “Torch Song” by Harvey Fierstein A few months ago, I suggested 12 female playwrights for young actresses auditioning for acting and musical theater college programs, so I thought it would be fun to introduce all you male musical theater college audition hopefuls to some well-known male playwrights who also write for musical theater. The views expressed in this article are solely that of the individual(s) providing them, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Backstage or its staff. Age: This is a good monologue for a young adult or adult male. A monologue from Christmas Superpowers and Believing in Blitzen by Tara Meddaugh The best contemporary monologues from Chekhov, Ibsen, and other notable playwrights. Reading plays and learning about new playwrights is an essential part of my job as a college audition monologue coach, so you’ll find that my studio is stockpiled with excellent audition material for teens and young adults. Find contemporary monologues for your auditions, classes, and theater training. As you read their plays, seek out age-appropriate characters with monologue content that’s within your life experience. These musical librettists and book writers have musical credits I’m sure you will immediately recognize, but the straight plays they have written are excellent sources of college audition monologue material. These monologues are published in the book "Between Good and Evil" ISBN-13: 978-1502982308: "Alien Goo" - Comedic Monologue from Published Script- Male (1 minute) "Dreaming of Dragons" - Monologue for Kids - Male or Female (45 seconds to 1 minute) "Growing Up is Hard to Do" - Short Comedic Monologue from the play "Between Good and Evil" - Male (1 minute) (My Fair Lady) THE FINALE (Pippin) PHILASTER (Beaumont and Fletcher) THE LUCKY CHANCE (Aphra Behn) I WILL RUN (Merchant of Venice) DON JUAN (Molière) MY MISTRESS WITH A MONSTER IS IN LOVE (A Midsummer Night’s Dream) You only have 90 seconds to show your best stuff! The pressure is on! Mary Anna Dennard is a nationally recognized college audition coach and the founder of CollegeAuditionCoach.com, the first ever online prep for college performing arts applicants. To add to the ideas on this page: I went to a master class with Jason Robert Brown recently who said that, yes there are things that are overdone, and do avoid the current or recent “hit” shows, but that there are … Killing Chuck is among the most popular monologues for men from plays written by Gabriel Davis on this site.From the one act play Unbearable Hotness, this young adult male monologue follows the character Brandon's journey as he recounts how a friendly rooftop conversation with Chuck turns deadly. 15 Powerful Male Dramatic Monologues contains some deep, emotional and wild pieces for male actors looking for dramatic monologues. 6 Musical Theater Monologue Sources for Young Men By Mary Anna Dennard | Aug. 21, 2018, 02:00 PM | Last Updated: Aug. 21, 2018, 07:02 PM Photo Source: Joan Marcus Below are 10 short comedic monologue audition cuts that can be paired up to create that memorable musical theatre audition package. And this time he's going to do it right! That's right. Below are some esteemed male book writers and some of their straight plays I like that contain male characters you may connect with. The next thing we have you do is recite a short monologue (usually this is provided from the script, but on some occasions we will ask you to prepare your own monologue of a … Looking for a short comedic monologue to pair with a song? MONOLOGUES. I encourage you to re-discover these male playwrights who you already know from their award-winning musical books. All monologues may be performed by any person regardless of race, ethnicity, or gender expression. monologues from musicals #15 Posted: 12/18/11 at 2:36pm Ted and Phil have some hilarious and some heartbreaking monologues in "Three … He's going to get re-Bar Mitzvah'd. Read. I love the excitement of learning about young contemporary writers and following their careers. I think it’s an excellent idea to consider using these crossover writers as a source for MT college audition monologue material: their playwriting style and understanding of musical librettos make a for great musical theater audition material. Here David attempts to win Barb's heart and prove he is a man ready to take on the commitment of a lifetime with her. During your audition for a musical will you be asked to sing a small sample of a song, about 30 seconds in length. Using this kind of material can also be a treat for your auditors as they may not be as familiar with these writer’s straight plays. As you read their plays, seek out age-appropriate characters with monologue content that’s within your life experience. 2 Minute Ate the Divorce Papers Monologue, 2 Minute Breaking Up with Brandon Monologue, 2 Minute 26 Year Old Bar Mitzvah Boy Monologue, 2 Minute Honey I'm a Leprechaun Monologue, The Roadrunner Never Looks Down Monologue, Most Frightening Wonderful Thing Monologue, Piney Fork Theater Playwriting Festival in Long Island City, in the, in Prescott, Arizona and most recently to gain admission to the BFA program at the University of Florida in 2016! READ: How to Handle College Audition Rejections. CHECKING IN Order the play. Length: 2 minute monologue. It only makes sense. MONOLOGUES FOR MALES . You can also search our monologues database by selecting specific criteria according to what you are looking for. Many of these mongologues, including additional suggested monologues, will need to be condensed to one minute in length. I TRIED TO STOP IT (West Side Story) I REMEMBER EVERYTHING (Oaklahoma) WHY NOT ME TOO? I encourage you to re-discover these male playwrights who you already know from their award-winning musical books. All Rights Reserved. Check out Backstage’s musicals audition listings! Tags: comedic monologue for men, monologues from plays, acting monologues. (The student who auditioned for U.Florida's BFA in Acting with, .