And really, there’s a big benefit to keeping more than one species of poultry. Pros: They’re gorgeous, and add a lot of beauty to a homestead. When she got older she spent basically “working” hours outside in her aviary, where she had a few “pet bantams.” In the morning, if you rose late, it was usually with a feeling someone was watching you. Partridges are another small game bird, much like pheasants. A capon. They’re prized as being excellent for eating, and easy to butcher (like quail). My friend Kris at Attainable Sustainable has a good post here, on getting started with raising pigeons for meat. © 2020 Homestead Survival Site. Specialized tools are specialized for a reason. A boning knife a versatile tool that works wonders when dealing with chicken or when breaking down a chicken. Both the males and females call constantly, and their high-pitched squeal won’t let you have a moment’s peace. I always like to stuff my whole roasted chickens with half lemons, pepper, salt, garlic, and fresh herbs. Fencing requirements are much more rigorous than for other poultry, since Emus are tall and can also jump. Excellent article though! Can’t say enough good things about specialized kitchen tools. ), Oh, thanks for the kind words, Lisa! I find most home cooks use porcelain or glass for their cookware which makes it very difficult to clean. The birds’ owner could almost get them to eat from his hand, but even with a lot of patience, they would only tolerate me at a bit of a distance. “huh! It has both white and dark types of meat and has much less fat than other poultry. Check out this list for some pros and cons of 11 types of poultry – some might surprise you! Well I did. However, all fowl raised free range is better for you than any store bought birds. Yes. Great watch dogs. All of the different types of poultry can be organized into four categories: landfowl, waterfowl, game and others. })(120000); In comparison to them, the pigeons have a smaller and short tailed body. While there might be no such thing as one perfect poultry for every homestead, chances are, there’s a kind of poultry here (or even a few kinds!) Hi there, Kyriacos! Oil and Vinegar: Opposites Attract Guinea fowl are African birds most similar in appearance to turkeys, with bald blue heads and speckled bodies. An underappreciated method of cooking chicken is by poaching. Please reload the CAPTCHA. Have fun and I love raising them lil fluffy balls of happiness. Dear Sir. What birds on this list have you raised? Deb, at ThriftyHomesteader.com has a great post about getting started with peafowl. They are such a daily source of joy to me. About 69% of these are Animal Cages. For a decade we enjoy the “dog-like” friendship of an Pied India Blue Peahen. Poultry is usually thought of being just for chickens. Try a variation of a court bouillon that emphasizes a good flavor base and experiment! A mixed flock has many advantages, as each type of bird will eat different forage rather than directly competing, meaning you can keep more birds in a single space without depleting resources. It’s interesting to think about, and they DO end up on the table in Europe more than in the USA. Not only are they versatile (Hint: You can use them for more than poultry) but deceptively useful. Here are pros and cons of 11 types of poultry to consider. Th... Farhan sheikh: Hi Elizabeth, It will be a pleasure for me, you can use that image i have no obj... Elizabeth Fillman: Dear Poultry Guide, My name is Elizabeth Fillman, and I am a research assistant... Farhan sheikh: Chickens will themselves search for food and water you don''t need to train them... Housing of ducks-considerations for building duck pen, Famous Turkey Meat delights – mouth watering dishes, Rearing, Incubation and brooding Guinea Fowl. Your email address will not be published. Most have more bitter flavor elements and wild waterfowl often have fish-like flavor elements due to their diets. We all know about turkey and we should all know the differences in cooking a turkey compared to cooking a chicken. Now here we have the birds which are undomesticated and are mostly used for the purpose of hunting and thrill. Lol The way I added turkeys and hid that from my husband, ( and they are his pets now btw ) is I ordered and when they arrived, remove the packing slip, because of yah have an investigative hubby, he’ll look for it. We miss her since passing terribly. If there is one thing that is universal, is the worlds’ love for chicken. It is versatile, inexpensive, and there is nothing quite like the aroma of homemade chicken stock with onions carrots and celery simmering on the stove. It may be a challenge to get them to stay in the coop as they often prefer to roost high up in the trees. This category consists of various domesticated birds each of which is used in various farm settings. Someone in our neighborhood kept them one year. You sound like an amazing duck mama! “Hmmmm…I wonder what these are? While they’re cute and can be raised in a tiny rabbit hutch in your basement, it takes a lot of quail eggs to make an omelet. Mine produce eggs and his produces oxygen. Chicken is the most eaten poultry in the world. cooked chicken juice will run clear when probed. Carol Ekarius: Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds (book), A Web Experience brought to you by LEAFtv, Difference Between Smoked and Roasted Turkey, How to Calculate the Size of the Pig for a Pig Roast, How to Remove Giblets From a Whole Chicken. A number of other larger birds such as the ostrich and emu are also included in this type of poultry. Only certain classes of chickens need certain cooking methods. First, is HOW DIFFERENT so many of these types of poultry are from each other. You totally had me blinking back a tear at the end. 52 Ways to Make Money on a Small Homestead. But – these folks at Paphos Chicken Farm appear to be in Cyprus and offer pheasants for sale – I wonder if perhaps they could be a lead for you? While geese may not lay as prolifically as geese, hatching eggs and goslings do command higher prices, so maintaining a breeding flock can still be a profitable venture. I raise both chickens and ducks, and I’m able to house and free-range them together. However, there are plenty of people who are really enjoying raising them – and doing it profitably! Many breeds make wonderful mothers. They also tend to eat roughly twice as much as a chicken does each day.