[Podcast]. Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Sue shares her experience in implementing pharmacogenetic information when reviewing medication options with patients. We got around the right medicines, and she’s been able to come off her medication-assisted therapy, Suboxone, which we don’t see that very often. I consider them the go-to place to get my evidence for pharmacogenetics. She also discusses some challenges in getting physicians on board with incorporating pharmacogenetics into the medication decision process. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. We have lots of resources on our website, PGx101.com. The right drug—for cardiovascular disease When you get a pharmacogenetic test report, what are some of the information you see on the report? In a week or two, we’ll schedule the patient for a follow-up to go over the results when the report comes back. If your pharmacogenomic test results suggest you may not have a good response to a medication, your family members may have a similar response. Cookie Policy. Individualized Care - Personalized Medicine, Email: [email protected] Next thing, I’ll push it up to the full blast and show patients that this is your blood pressure level. Pharmacogenetics can be used by doctors to identify the optimal dose and/or medicine for each patient. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Is precision medicine the future of healthcare? Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time. The Precision Insights podcast is a podcast series consists of inspiring conversations around precision medicine with industry thought leaders and innovators. One single pharmacogenomic test cannot be used to determine how you will respond to all medications. Precisely on that point, there are four to five medications and sometimes many more for an individual to look at for a particular condition. By integrating pharmacogenetics with other health variables, the software assists providers and help patients get better health outcomes. It will be especially useful for individuals who are struggling to find an effective medication. We think pharmacogenetics is a trigger for the way we’re starting to share information with patients. Is It Safe? For immediate information, I’ll go to, , because it’s not as complicated. But a new type of genetic testing called pharmacogenetics has the potential to transform how medication is prescribed by tailoring it to an individual’s specific genetic makeup. Either the patient has a poor metabolizer, normal metabolizer, or ultra metabolizer of a specific drug. I am Sue Paul, and I’ve been a pharmacist for over 20 years. This full panel is particularly advantageous for patients on multiple medications who may otherwise require multiple panels—all at a low cost and coming from a company you trust to meet all of your lab needs. You can unsubscribe at any time. Currently, without pharmacogenetic testing, physicians make prescribing decisions based on knowledge of the medication and of the condition that the patient has. Look into pharmacogenetics if you can. We rely on readers like you to uphold a free press. How Can Pharmacogenetics Be Helpful To Doctors? Resources Can you tell listeners a little bit about yourself and how you got here? ****Get copies of the paper Pharmacogenomics requisition from your Quest Diagnostics account manager. Especially how their clinical decision support software, TreatGx, can bring all the variables together in a more straightforward format. As when physicians began their practices, they were looking for the parameters for the potassium level, but now they know it from experience. This type of genetic testing has the capacity to make a real difference in patients’ lives. Lastly, we also have to start empowering patients to take control of their own health, especially getting them involved in the decision-making process. This duality of knowledge is considered, a medication is prescribed and then the patient’s response to the treatment is monitored. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. With diagnostic tests, sometimes no news is good news. Is Genetic Testing Enough? If you take a case of someone suffering from depression for instance, many antidepressant medications can have variable metabolism, which is dependent on an individual’s genetic makeup. [Podcast]. These cookies do not store any personal information. There are many free resources for you to get started. This includes information for over 40 genes, but does not provide information about specific drugs or drug classes.