His entire fortune was built on the systematic enslavement, murder and rape of enslaved Africans. Caleb will hold the role from 2020-2022. I think of you lying in that harbour They can be quick, filthy, naive, sullen, sweet or downright dangerous argues A Recipe for Sorcery author Vanessa Kisuule. This whole time I use cookies to help the website to function well and to improve my services. here, in the pit of chaos with the rest of us. Racism and the power structures which dictate our lives have always been there, but lockdown means that there is nowhere to hide – people cannot ignore what they … Continue reading Language and Power. broke away it holds the sun…” And then stops Creative Writing: Indie Poetry Please! But still you are permanent. My last poem this evening is one that has just been released from being exclusive to my patrons on Patreon. Essential Texts Poems included in resources. Please check your email for further instructions. And the older origin: This is your rightful home Insects are out; If you haven’t received an email, check your spam folder. His entire fortune was built on the systematic enslavement, murder and rape of enslaved Africans. Act 1. there is more to come. Details of the 2020 Bristol City Poet Handover event are on the blog. would have done— Please refresh the page and/or try again. are permanent. We lose out and are bereaved politically, socially, in all sorts of ways across time. Throw in a global pandemic, months of home learning (or not-learning), uncertainty and possible trauma for some, and things become very complicated indeed. the teardrops and the petals Please refresh the page and/or try again. my time has run. Take your twisted glory and feed it to the tadpoles. Letters into the moist air. I've never been prouder to be Bristol City Poet & to offer a poem to my adopted city than I am today. Each bougie building we flaunt Lie dumb in the rising mist, Look for me in my children; You can hear and see the poet read this poem herself on YouTube. the friends I’ve known and loved; Teachers are the most resilient, … Continue reading Time for a change, This astonishing poem was written by Vanessa Kisuule, the Bristol City Poet, in June 2020 in response to the destruction of the statue of Edward Colston, a slaver. The first poem I’d like to read was written for another friend after she lost her husband. corkscrewed, then met the ground You came down easy in the end Make sure you don't miss out on any events by signing up to our mailing list. Now all that’s left of me is love, its heavy threat of metal and marble. Would you like the Bristol City Poet to write a poem for you? there is more to come. We would like to show you a description here but the site won’t allow us. Children learn and titans sing This wonderful poem explores such a loss, that was experienced and allowed by the slave trade. I don’t have the text to reproduce here but you can read it on his Instagram account. List. His entire fortune was built on the systematic enslavement, murder and rape of enslaved Africans. https://www.facebook.com/lyrabristol/videos/666098560837074 And who carved you? the seas and trees, who’ll bring you You who perfected the ratio. Wise and virtuous the plaque assured us. like saliva in a hungry mouth. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. I only know Chris from Instagram, I got to know him when he wrote a poem about the lanes of Wexford–the county where I grew up–that made me feel instantly homesick. Now no blasting, briefly, you flew. This poem is from that collection and I’d like to thank her for it, and for her beautiful daughter who was, as her husband said at her funeral, “simply the best person I ever met”. You can hear and see the poet read this poem herself on YouTube. glistening The winds are not around. CATCH A LIVE PERFORMANCE . If you enjoy my work and you have the means and the inclination it would mean the world to me if you'd consider supporting me. Teachers are the most resilient, … Continue reading Time for a change, This astonishing poem was written by Vanessa Kisuule, the Bristol City Poet, in June 2020 in response to the destruction of the statue of Edward Colston, a slaver. the righteous wrench of two ropes in a grand plie Only poppies scream, but muted, the birth family where for me Something went wrong. Websites Reading poetry with children from poetryfoundation.org Benjamin Zephaniah reads ‘People Need People’ on the One Show; Nyla performs her poem at a Black Lives Matter protest; Vanessa Kisuule performs ‘Hollow’ all from YouTube.com These are terms which I am comfortable with, but not everybody likes them, and everyone has the right to be described in whichever way they choose. More details at OrnaRoss.com/submit. Forgive me for using an obscure … Continue reading Knowledge and Skill Audits: know your team, n.b. who ever saw such things the same— It summarises my philosophy of life in death. and there remain Please check your email for further instructions. as she recalls that he—the only one Standing ovation on the platform of your neck. Bereavement isn’t just about losing a person, loss isn’t just about breakups. ——- Orna Ross is an award-winning novelist and poet, advocate for self-publishing and, as Director of the Alliance of Independent Authors, "one of the 100 most influential people in publishing" (The Bookseller). Victors wish history odourless and static The aim of #indiepoetryplease is to introduce viewers to some of the most exciting, inspiring, and dynamic voices working in poetry today. along the street of need. corkscrewed, then met the ground. moves like smoke, Colston,