I added 1/2 teaspoon calcium chloride to the brine mixture to make sure that the brine didn’t pull any calcium out of my cheese. Start by heating the milk over medium low heat until it reaches 86° F. Sprinkle the Feta culture over the top of the milk and let it re-hydrate for 2-3 minutes. Tie up the curd filled cheese cloth into a sack and hang it over the sink. You can also store your finished cheese in brine, instead of dry salting. 9. Here it is in the photo sitting next to the yogurt that I made the day before. Add the starter, stirring to combine. Allow to set, undisturbed, for 10 minutes. If you'd like another easy cheese recipe - this is even easier than feta and has about three steps! Luckily, I have plenty of goat milk on hand because I’m your weird friend with goats in my yard. If using lipase, you will need to increase the amount of rennet used to achieve a good clean break. Read at your own risk. See, not intimidating at all! with a lid; Culturing the cheese. Your email address will not be published. You may also use pasteurized milk. —<<<<. Let the curd set until it is pulling away from the sides and has a layer of clear whey resting on the top. 8. Add rennet diluted in 1/4 cup cool, unchlorinated water. The final test is the “clean break.”  This means placing your finger in the curd and lifting it out until it forms a clean break. Remember to put a bowl underneath to catch the whey that strains out. If you’re looking for an easy raw cheese to make, feta is a good choice since it is traditionally a raw milk cheese. The cheese will be at its most delicate stage at this process, so handle them carefully. Here’s a step by step tutorial that any newbie cheese maker can succeed with – enjoy homemade feta cheese tonight. Its not the most raw milk friendly state in the Union but we make do with what we have and get involved to change the laws where we can. Now, prepare a saturated brine: 1.25 pounds salt to 1/4 gallon water (aka 1 quart). They have essentially absorbed the salt water and need the chance to dry off and firm up. Homemade cheese is only a gallon of milk away. It also depends on the lactation cycles of the goat. In order to cut the curd both horizontally and vertically, place the spoon gently underneath and lift the strips of curd up to cut horizontally. (If Shakespeare made up words, so can I.). This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Here are some lovely ways to use your feta cheese. Don't freak if it falls below; just add some warm water to the bath. Let me know in the comments if you have any questions. Add the diluted rennet and gently stir with an up-and-down motion for several minutes. lipase powder diluted in 1/4 cup water and allowed to sit for 20 minutes optional – use if making this recipe with milk other than goat’s milk; 2 oz prepared Mesophilic starter or one packet; 1/2 tsp. 5. 1/8 teaspoon double strength rennet, diluted in 1/4 cup cool, unchlorinated water. After the curd has been draining for the first two hours, shake the sides of the cheese cloth so that excess moisture is released. Photo: Kate Williams. You may hang it for more or less time, depending on the temperature in your house, and how sharp you like your feta. 10. Allow the curd to drain over night. 1 Sachet sets up to 50 litres of milk. Though on the rise in the States as alternatives to cow milk, it is still much easier to find high quality, local cow's milk at your supermarket than goat or sheep milk. 3. >>>>---Simple click below to learn more!---<<<<, lipase powder diluted in 1/4 cup water and allowed to sit for 20 minutes, optional – use if making this recipe with milk other than goat’s milk, prepared Mesophilic starter or one packet, or 1/4 rennet tablet diluted in 1/4 cup cool, unchlorinated water, for brine (optional) - brining gives it a stronger flavor, though, which is what makes feta distinct, Instructions for Making Feta – First Steps. We want you to have access to vital DIY information so you can feel less anxious and more prepared! Place the cheese in the brine solution and store in refrigerator for 30 days. Now, you are ready to cut the curd! Allow the cheese to settle at the bottom of the pot for 10 minutes. Although you can still buy the print version of The Do It Yourself Homestead on Amazon, why not take us up on this very special offer for the E-version of the book?! Sanitize the cheese cloth by dipping it in boiling water. We want you to have access to vital DIY information so you can feel less anxious and more prepared! Her whole life is cheese - seriously. A simple beginner cheese that's soft and tangy; good for eating on salads and pastas. The longer you stir at this point, the firmer the final cheese will be. In the interest of full disclosure, I don’t know that I’ve ever made it a full twenty minutes; cheese is slow food but my life is not! Untie the bag and cut the curds into 2.5-centimetre cubes. At the store, double check that your buttermilk is complete with live, active cultures. This blog participates in various affiliate programs which means that you might click on a link for a product from which I will make a small commission, although the price for you doesn't change any. Christmas Savings - Save 5%, 10% & 15% Starting at $100. cremoris. Yes, it takes a little time to make your own feta, but when you’re done, you will have made cheese where there was no cheese before. Live cultures for making your own delicious Feta cheese at home. Brine storage option: You can store the feta in an 8% brine solution (6 to 8oz of kosher salt to 3 quarts water). I dont have access to raw milk of any kind, Im not sure they can even legally sell it here in New York.. any suggestions? An ideal container is one that keeps the cheese submerged in brine and has its own lid. Tie the corners of the cheesecloth into a knot, and hang the bag over the sink to drain for 4 hours or more. You can hang it anywhere clean-ish in your house, but the kitchen is a logical choice. After months of playing around with the two ingredient cheese, I decided it was finally time to be an adult and try a complex cheese that takes more than one basic step. Prepare a light brine solution using 200 grams of Cheese Salt and two litres of non-chlorinated water. Add starter culture and stir well. I agree that you can always learn a better way to do something, especially with cheese making. It is still much easier to find high quality, local cow's milk at your supermarket than goat or sheep milk. For a traditionally strong feta flavor, make a brine solution: And voila, you have feta! Another fabulous book for cheese makers is Natural Cheesemaking, by David Asher. liquid rennet or 1/4 rennet tablet diluted in 1/4 cup cool, unchlorinated water; 3 tbsp. Feta is an easy cheese to make at home! Don’t have your own copy? Then add another 1/4 gallon water on top of the mixture. Glass is better than plastic. Leave to incubate for 1 hour, maintaining the temperature at 30° C. Add rennet solution and stir in gently using an up and down motion for one minute to ensure that the rennet is evenly distributed. Homestead Lady is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. There should be a layer of salt at the bottom. This halts positive fermentation! Combine the milk and the diluted lipase, if desired for stronger flavor. 2. Like I said, you can also pasteurize your milk for a pasteurized version of feta, but it is traditionally a raw milk cheese. 3. I added 1/2 teaspoon. This is a beautifully textured Feta, that does not require ageing for any length of time before eating, and is very easy to make. 6. 1. The flavor of feta is best with goat milk, in my opinion, but cow milk will also work. Add the diluted rennet and gently stir with an up-and-down motion for several minutes. No worries, just click on this to get yours today. Be sure to check out the Homestead Kitchen chapter from our book, The Do It Yourself Homestead. Want to learn a few more things about healthy eating, delicious recipes and keeping your family nourished? Most goat and sheep dairy farmers transform their milk into value-added products such as yogurt and cheese, in order to make a better profit. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Untie the bag and cut the curd into 1-inch slices, then cut the slices into 1-inch cubes. Place the drained curds in the brine for 8 hours. The Homestead Lady grants non-exclusive use of one photo and up to 50 words from posts with attribution and link back to the original post on this site.