For example: What It Means: The internet is the virtual life. “Wtf” is a little angrier. on Nov 04 1999. I’m sorry; I’m just upset.” “No, dude, go off!” Did you know most of this modern slang? JSYK is the new FYI, so get with it. In person, nobody says “sm.” But many people say “ily,” pronounced like “lily” without the first L. Sometimes people attempt to say “ilysm” by saying a fast “sum” after “ily.”, Example: “I hate that sm” or “Thank you for the present ilysm!”. This translates as “Make her your wife, because she just did this.”, Example: “She literally just made me mac n cheese imma wife her” or “Look at how good she looks SHE’S MY WIFE”, Used when something emotionally overwhelming happens, like seeing a cute dog, or watching The Avengers: Infinity War. Citation from "The Fight", Parks and Recreation (TV), Season 3 Episode 13 (2011) censored in hope of resolving Google's penalty against this site . These slang expressions are worth learning and are not taught in schools. By providing the information below you will receive early-bird invitations to our events, exclusive musings tailored to your interests, and access to our curated mentorship program. That entire series of action is now reduced to a single word: facepalm. I’m screaming.” or “He tried to sit in his chair and completely missed. on Jan 18 2000. Last edited on Jan 12 2012. to give something to someone. Submitted by Anonymous Example: “YOU JUST MET JIMMY FALLON THAT’S SO WILD? GIF VIA GIPHY. on Mar 20 2010. Example: “Reminder that Asian American women make less than white men but more than white women and much more than women of other cultural backgrounds in America. That was savage.”. Last edited on Oct 14 2011. Sometimes used jokingly to describe people who are relatable. on Dec 10 1996. Submitted by Walter Rader (Editor) from Sacramento, CA, USA What It Means: Ask Me Anything is a series started on Reddit, where an authority on a subject fields open questions. Note: Your privacy is important to us, so please know that your information will always remain confidential! Example: “On his finsta, he posted about blocking Jenny and ranted about her.”, Telling someone to rant about someone or something that upsets them or that they are very emotionally invested in. If it’s said in person, it’s almost always used ironically or as a joke. Last edited on Jan 12 2011. In person, people only say the individualized letters T, B and T. They don’t try to pronounce it out like a word. Submitted by Molly from PA, USA You’re SUCH a fake fan.”, Used to describe a really good song. Last edited on Dec 27 2010. Last edited on Apr 22 2013. on Jan 04 2013. This is getting a little out-dated, but I still hear it used today, albeit ironically. “Laughing my a** off.” Despite what the phrase stands for, normally we say this casually without real emphasis. Submitted by Robert H. from Kingston, PA, USA on Jun 13 2004. Here's an example from Hacker News. And that's not even counting social media slang and the hundreds of internet memes out there. Example: “Camila is so thirsty for Shannon it’s unbelievable.”, After someone throws shade. What It Means: In internet lingo, NSFW is now used more for something that would be offensive in a formal environment, but would be fine if you're around friends. For example: Her: You want to send me that Snapchat?Him:PAW, later. Sometimes, people also say “RIP me.” We say this in person or over text. “RIP” is used in response to an unfortunate but mild problem, and “big RIP” is used in response to an unfortunate but slightly less mild problem. hungering. Normally spoken about relationships or people. Can also be used to describe people that are weird or funny in the way they act. More Internet Slang Words to Learn. Here are some trendy internet words you should know. In fact, modern internet slang words have transformed language, so it's crucial to learn the common phrases. on May 18 1999. "DM" is slowly becoming the default way of telling someone to message you privately, much like "PM" in the past for personal message/private message. Good times.”, Example: “I did it bc I needed to graduate!”. Example: “I threw shade about her missing my party” or “At least some people in this room don’t steal my work. If not, hopefully this helped you master 2018 teenage girl lingo! By the way, don't confuse WTF for TFW, which is another popular acronym. This is the list for you. To continually attack or target another player in a videogame, generally of a lower level and usually online. Submitted by Walter Rader (Editor) from Sacramento, CA, USA Submitted by Lyndsey M. from Edson, AB, Canada Is the New 007 Keeping Cinema Historically Accurate. Short for relationship. The internet is constantly evolving, making it difficult to keep up with modern slang. My worst nightmare.This is mirl..#csgo #twitch #streamer #LeapDay #gamer #twitchers #mirl pic.twitter.com/BOQcXdvljf. This is used almost everywhere on the internet, but originated on Reddit. He has an academic background in journalism. Last edited on Oct 28 2011. Slang Words | Slang Dictionary. It's actually pretty therapeutic, especially if you want to confess your misfortunes anonymously at a place like FMyLife, which is one of the best sites to read true stories from real people. - Will Thomas@healveterans #Veterans #servicedogs #SquadGoals pic.twitter.com/yPTJQHhl30. PHOTO VIA UNSPLASH/@RAWPIXEL, The gossip. to "escape" in a looser sense, i.e. Submitted by Walter Rader (Editor) from Sacramento, CA, USA Submitted by MosheGirl from Portland, OR, USA “Tubular” Source: surfingworld.com. The most casual way of saying “thank you.” I normally say this over text. “Mother f***ing”. on Nov 20 2011. Submitted by Walter Rader (Editor) from Sacramento, CA, USA Last edited on Feb 20 2003. Submitted by Robert H. from Kingston, PA, USA To ship two people is to wish they were together. (Here's a useful one to begin with: breaking the internet.). “What the f***.”  This is also still in fashion, but you might see the shorter version “tf” thrown around. on Jan 31 2005. Slang term that’s popular in the gay community for penetrative anal sex done without a condom. in homosexual male sex, to perform in the female role (i.e. lusting. Example: to perform a murder-for-hire; "perform a contract killing". *If you need to know what LOL is, then you should seek out a more basic "internet for Dummies 101" guide than this article. PHOTO VIA INSTAGRAM/@BEYONCE. Example: “You didn’t know my favorite food is cotton candy? Example: “She really subtweeted me knowing I would see it. It's a sure-fire way to get more likes and comments on Instagram. . The future president told the aspiring actor, "Lots of competition in your business, just like in mine. on Oct 03 2009. Submitted by John K. from Falls Church, VA, USA on Oct 31 1998. on Jun 09 1997. “Oh my god” or “oh my gosh.” Yes, “omg” is still in fashion. What It Means: There are two ways this is used. desiring. What It Means: DAE is generally a prefix for a question, where the person asking wants to know if they are not alone in whatever they are experiencing. Of course, in the case of MFW, the image has to feature someone's face. ENTITY shares 2018 modern slang words. For English-speaking learners learning these slang expressions help them understand native speakers and gives them more confidence to use these Slang expressions themselves in their daily lives. If you’re not, then you’re in luck! on Jun 21 1997. Sometimes accompanied with a second “go off!”, “Tony was CLEARLY IN THE RIGHT. What It Means: FYI, if you still use "FYI" to be sassy when schooling someone, you're old. to stimulate the vagina with one's fingers; ". Last edited on Dec 20 2011. Last edited on Apr 02 2013. itching . What It Means: The internet is a treasure trove of detailed information, but sometimes, you haven't got time to read the whole thing. It's a way of saying, "You might have already seen this, but if not, here you go.". on Jan 18 2003. Submitted by Walter Rader (Editor) from Sacramento, CA, USA on Apr 26 1999. Last edited on Jan 12 2012. on Jul 02 2011. on Jun 14 2003. to get, buy, attend, etc., when referring to meals. Last edited on Jun 11 2010. If you use most of these words, you’re probably a millennial. Last edited on Jul 22 2014. A popular picture that many different Internet-users modify to make a similar joke with slightly different variations. Last edited on Nov 02 2011. Last edited on Aug 31 2009. What It Means: When you want to post an old photo, hold off until Thursday and tag it with #ThrowbackThursday or #TBT. Submitted by Jason D. from Costa Mesa, CA, USA Last edited on Jan 04 2013. on Oct 01 2001. I’m sorry; I’m just upset.”. on Feb 15 1998. Sometimes people use this jokingly. Last edited on Dec 16 2011. Submitted by Gillian C. ILYSM. Last edited on Jan 18 2000. to withdraw an item from its present storage place; "retrieve". Otherwise, with something like a reaction GIF or a photo/video, you'd add a funny caption to it stating that's how you are in real life. Last edited on Mar 29 2010. Last edited on Jan 12 2012. The definitions of these slang words appear below the list. bae is coming over.”. on Apr 18 2009. an unpleasant condition that usually accompanies a seemingly advantageous situation. Submitted by Walter Rader (Editor) from Sacramento, CA, USA on Nov 01 2010. A way to say “small” when describing something cute. The internet has decided to make it easy to say that with "YMMV". Lulz is usually used in the form of "For the lulz", which would be just like saying "for the kicks" or "for the laughs". What It Means: MIRL is usually used as self-deprecating humor, especially when you see something online that you identify with. aching. on Jun 19 2010. I currently go to college in Ohio. Submitted by John S. from Phoenix, AZ, USA one's taste. The other way is sarcastic. Example: “She really glowed up after high school.”, Used to describe people that do something impressive or admirable (usually a celebrity). on Oct 03 2009. “Laugh out loud.” The relevance of this phrase depends on the person. smh.”. 2. Submitted by Ash L. from Burlingame, CA, USA