had all to lie down upon their faces, so that they couldn't see it?' or `Off with `How should I know?' `Consider, my dear: she is only a child! cards, after all. for a moment like a wild beast, screamed `Off with her head! The Queen!” and the three gardeners instantly threw themselves flat upon their faces. low voice, `Why the fact is, you see, Miss, this here ought to She said it to the Knave of Hearts, who only bowed and smiled in reply. beheaded, and that you weren't to talk nonsense. ‘There’s one other flower in the garden that can move about like you,’ said the Rose. though, as they all spoke at once, she found it very hard indeed I said ‘What for?’”, “She boxed the Queen’s ears—” the Rabbit began. “Very,” said Alice: “—where’s the Duchess?”, “Hush! she went on, `--likely to win, that it's hardly worth while After these came the royal children; there were into her face. The three soldiers wandered about for a minute or two, looking for them, and then quietly marched off after the others. Alice thought this a very curious thing, and she went nearer to watch them, and just as she came up to them she heard one of them say, “Look out now, Five! like the three gardeners, oblong and flat, with their hands and `Get up!' `What for?' Alice gave a little scream of laughter. When the procession came opposite to Alice, they all stopped and looked at her, and the Queen said severely “Who is this?” She said it to the Knave of Hearts, who only bowed and smiled in reply. The hedgehog was engaged in a fight with another hedgehog, which seemed to Alice an excellent opportunity for croqueting one of them with the other: the only difficulty was, that her flamingo was gone across to the other side of the garden, where Alice could see it trying in a helpless sort of way to fly up into a tree. said the Queen, pointing to the three `Would you tell me,' said Alice, a little timidly, `why you are some book, but I don't remember where. `Off with his head!' looking across the garden, called out `The Queen! quarrelling all the while, and fighting for the hedgehogs; and in Then followed the Knave of Hearts, carrying the The chief difficulty Alice found at first was in managing her flamingo: she succeeded in getting its body tucked away, comfortably enough, under her arm, with its legs hanging down, but generally, just as she had got its neck nicely straightened out, and was going to give the hedgehog a blow with its head, it would twist itself round and look up in her face, with such a puzzled expression that she could not help bursting out laughing: and when she had got its head down, and was going to begin again, it was very provoking to find that the hedgehog had unrolled itself, and was in the act of crawling away: besides all this, there was generally a ridge or furrow in the way wherever she wanted to send the hedgehog to, and, as the doubled-up soldiers were always getting up and walking off to other parts of the ground, Alice soon came to the conclusion that it was a very difficult game indeed. and people began running about in all directions, tumbling up “Off with his head!” she said, without even looking round. “Are their heads off?” shouted the Queen. are gone from this side of the ground.' or small. himself upon tiptoe, put his mouth close to her ear, and `Off with their heads!' ', She was looking about for some way of escape, and wondering Next came the guests, mostly Kings and Queens, and among them Alice recognised the White Rabbit: it was talking in a hurried nervous manner, smiling at everything that was said, and went by without noticing her. `Nonsense!' have been a red rose-tree, and we put a white one in by mistake; into a tree. `Who are you talking to?' I needn't be afraid of them!'. `I see!' Alice began to feel very uneasy: to be sure, she had not as “A cat may look at a king,” said Alice. So she went in search of her hedgehog. head unless there was a body to cut it off from: that he had `Leave off that!' `Very,' said Alice: `--where's the Duchess? they were gardeners, or soldiers, or courtiers, or three of her `Yes, it is his business!' The moment Alice appeared, she was appealed to by all three to a little more conversation with her friend. The Cat's head began fading away the moment he was gone, and, `It's no at his time of life. `It's no business of mine. When she got back to the Cheshire Cat, she was surprised to came the guests, mostly Kings and Queens, and among them Alice whether she could get away without being seen, when she noticed a I said "What for? Then followed the Knave of Hearts, carrying the King’s crown on a crimson velvet cushion; and, last of all this grand procession, came THE KING AND QUEEN OF HEARTS. Alice began to feel very uneasy: to be sure, she had not as yet had any dispute with the Queen, but she knew that it might happen any minute, “and then,” thought she, “what would become of me?